Philippines probes diplomat charged in Canada for exploiting nanny
Published on May 10, 2014 11:55 AM
MANILA (AFP) - The Philippine government said on Saturday it was investigating a Filipina diplomat charged in Canada for alleged human trafficking involving the exploitation of her nanny.
"The (foreign affairs) department takes very seriously any allegations of misconduct of its employees. The department is conducting an inquiry into the matter," its spokesman Charles Jose said in a statement to news agencies.
He said Buenaflor Cruz was formerly assigned to the Philippine embassy in Ottawa but had since been reassigned to the home office in Manila "as part of the department's normal rotation".
Canadian federal police said they laid charges on Friday against the Filipina diplomat and her husband, Robert Cruz, for mischief, uttering threats, withholding their former nanny's identification documents and human trafficking. It said the suspects had left the country while the 26-year-old nanny, who worked at the couple's Ottawa home between July 2009 and December 2013 but was not identified, had been "relocated to a safe location" in Canada.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here