Philippines monitors arrivals from west Africa for Ebola
Published on Aug 1, 2014 8:08 PM
MANILA (AFP) - The Philippines said Friday people arriving from west African countries hit by the Ebola outbreak would be monitored for a month to prevent the virus spreading to the Asian nation.
Manila last month imposed a ban on travel to Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone amid the world's worst ever outbreak of the tropical virus, while the health ministry announced extra measures on Friday.
"We have to be proactive. We know that the threat is there, and we do not want any surprises," health ministry spokesman Lyndon Leesuy told a news conference.
Filipinos returning from the three outbreak countries, as well as visitors from those nations, would be screened at Philippine airports and their health status monitored daily for a month after their arrival, he added.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here