Sunday, Dec 21, 2014Sunday, Dec 21, 2014
 

32 Filipino peacekeepers evacuated, others under attack: UN

Published on Aug 31, 2014 12:33 AM
 
A handout photo taken in October 2013 and released by Philippine Armed Forces public affairs office on August 29, 2014 shows officers and men of the 7th Philippine peacekeeping force bound for the Golan Heights posing for photos during their send-off ceremony at the army heradquarters in Manila. Nearly three dozen UN peacekeepers from the Philippines who had been surrounded for days by Islamist militants on the Syrian side of the Golan Heights were rescued during a firefight on Saturday, UN officials said. -- PHOTO: AFP

UNITED NATIONS, United States (AFP) - Thirty-two Filipino United Nations peacekeepers have been evacuated after being caught up in heavy fighting on the Golan Heights while others remain under fire, the UN confirmed Saturday.

The group was part of a 72-member contingent situated in two different locations in the area.

Those remaining are currently still under fire, preventing them from being moved out, the UN said in a statement issued from its New York headquarters.

“The UN Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) reports that, early this morning, UN Position 69 was fired upon by armed elements,” the UN said in a statement issued from its New York headquarters.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos