Monday, Sep 1, 2014Monday, Sep 1, 2014
Asia
 

Malaysia says no mid-flight phone call from MH370 cockpit as search remains fruitless

Published on Apr 13, 2014 5:21 PM
 
HMAS Toowoomba making her way through the calm waters of the Indian Ocean at speed during the search for missing Malaysia Airways Flight MH370 on April 8, 2014. Malaysia on Sunday, April 13, 2014, rejected claims that phone calls were made from flight MH370 before it vanished, but refused to rule out any possibility in a so far fruitless investigation into the jet's disappearance. -- FILE PHOTO: AFP

KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - Malaysia on Sunday rejected claims that phone calls were made from flight MH370 before it vanished, but refused to rule out any possibility in a so far fruitless investigation into the jet's disappearance.

Australia's Joint Agency Coordination Centre, which is leading the search, said on Sunday that another 24 hours had passed without a confirmed signal, increasing fears that batteries in the beacons attached to the plane's two black boxes may now have run flat.

The New Straits Times, quoting an anonymous source, had reported Saturday that co-pilot Fariq Abdul Hamid made a call which ended abruptly, possibly "because the aircraft was fast moving away from the (telecommunications) tower".

There had also been unconfirmed reports of calls by the Malaysia Airlines plane's captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah before or during the flight.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos