Furore as Philippines film star gets snubbed for top award
Published on Jun 24, 2014 10:52 PM
MANILA (AFP) - President Benigno Aquino's snub of one of the Philippines' most accomplished film stars for a top cultural award has sparked a furore amid talk her political ties and lifestyle were to blame.
Nora Aunor, 61, was among six people short-listed by the National Commission on Culture for the Arts for "national artist" honours this year, but her name was missing from the awardees announced by Aquino's office last week.
Commission spokesman Trixie Angeles told AFP on Tuesday it was bemused about the omission, which has sparked outrage in the local film industry and social media.
"She has an excellent body of work, there is no question about her talent or artistry," Angeles said.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!