Sunday, Nov 23, 2014Sunday, Nov 23, 2014
 

Death toll rises to 15 in twin Malaysia boat accidents

Published on Jun 20, 2014 12:17 PM
 

KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - Malaysian authorities said on Friday that a 15th body was found and 27 people remain missing from two boat accidents, at a time when Indonesian illegal migrant workers head home for the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

Eighty-two people have been rescued so far in an ongoing search off western Malaysia after the boats, believed to be bound for Sumatra, sank on Wednesday and Thursday, said Mr Mohamad Hambali Yaakup, an official with the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA).

"Of the 15 bodies, 12 are male and three female," he told AFP.

A first boat carrying 97 Indonesians was first reported to have sunk near Port Klang, the country's main sea port, before a second sunken vessel with 27 passengers was discovered slightly south near the district of Sepang.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here
 

Videos