Thursday, Aug 28, 2014Thursday, Aug 28, 2014
Asia
 

Australia, Malaysia still to decide costs of search for MH370

Published on Jun 10, 2014 3:28 PM
 
Crew aboard the Australian Defence Vessel Ocean Shield move the U.S. Navy's Bluefin-21 autonomous underwater vehicle into position for deployment in the southern Indian Ocean to look for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370,on April 14, 2014. Australia and Malaysia were on Tuesday, June 10, 2014 set to discuss the next phase of the search for missing flight MH370, with the cost of the unprecedented mission on the agenda, officials said. -- PHOTO:  REUTERS

SYDNEY (AFP) - Australia and Malaysia were on Tuesday set to discuss the next phase of the search for missing flight MH370, with the cost of the unprecedented mission on the agenda, officials said.

Malaysia's costs have so far been about one-tenth of the US$84 million (S$105 million) Australia expects to spend on the search for the plane, which disappeared while travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing three months ago.

"The government has allocated A$89.9 million (S$105 million). I think about A$25 million of that is to go the defence force for the visual search they conducted," said Mr Angus Houston, head of the search's Joint Agency Coordination Centre.

An additional A$60 million has been allocated to the underwater operation in the southern Indian Ocean where the plane is believed to have crashed in Australia's search and rescue zone. "That money has been allocated but we're still to crunch... or still to negotiate the burden-sharing with for example Malaysia," he added.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos