Thursday, Dec 18, 2014Thursday, Dec 18, 2014

Asia

 

More survivors pulled out from collapsed building in India; death toll rises to 31

Published on Jul 2, 2014 12:19 AM
 
Rescue workers surrounding 23 year-old labourer from Orissa state, Prakesh, as he is carried out alive from the rubble on a stretcher, 72 hours after the collapse of the multi-storied building in Porur Town, near Chennai on July 1, 2014. Emergency workers on pulled out four more survivors from the rubble of a collapsed building in southern India, with authorities saying they expected rescue efforts to continue overnight. -- PHOTO: AFP

NEW DELHI (AFP) - Emergency workers on Tuesday pulled out four more survivors from the rubble of a collapsed building in southern India, with the authorities saying they expected rescue efforts to continue overnight.

The death toll from Saturday's disaster on the outskirts of Chennai rose to 31. Officials said many more were still believed to be trapped in the debris.

Mr Karuna Sagar, a senior officer with the Tamil Nadu state police force, said they had managed to pull a survivor to safety on Tuesday afternoon as rescue workers toiled round the clock.

"We pulled out one young labourer from the debris on Tuesday afternoon. He was alive and in a healthy condition," Mr Sagar told AFP by phone. "Earlier, three people had been pulled out alive. One late at night and two others early this morning. They have all been taken to the hospital."

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos