Saturday, Dec 20, 2014Saturday, Dec 20, 2014

Asia

 

At least 9 killed after 11-storey building collapses in south India

Published on Jun 29, 2014 6:46 PM
 
Indian rescue workers look for survivors in the rubble of a collapsed multi-storeyed building in Porur town, situated on the outskirts of Chennai on June 29, 2014. At least nine people were killed and dozens feared trapped after an 11-storey residential block crumbled in southern India, officials said, the latest deadly building collapse in the country. -- PHOTO: AFP 

NEW DELHI (AFP) - At least nine people were killed and dozens feared trapped after an 11-storey residential block crumbled in southern India, officials said, the latest deadly building collapse in the country.

The tower, which was still being constructed about 20km from Chennai in Tamil Nadu, collapsed late on Saturday after heavy rains, crushing mostly labourers who were working at the site.

Senior police officer Karuna Sagar told NDTV television that nine bodies had been pulled from the wreckage while 20 people had been rescued and were being treated at hospital.

Mr Sagar added that witnesses had described hearing a loud bang, with the building collapsing after around 50 workers went inside it to seek shelter from the rain.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos