Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015
Asia
 

India investigators say they won't charge 5 men suspected of raping and murdering teens

Published on Aug 25, 2014 10:48 PM
 
In this file photograph taken on May 31, 2014, the mothers of gang-rape victims (centre, with shawls covering their faces) and villagers stand in front of the tree where the bodies of the two girls were found hanging, in Katra Shahadatgunj in Badaun district, India's Uttar Pradesh state. On Monday, the Central Bureau of Investigation, India's top investigative agency, said it would not "as yet" file charges against five accused men, citing a lack of evidence, but did not rule out future charges. -- PHOTO: AFP

NEW DELHI (AFP) - Indian investigators said Monday they would not charge five men detained earlier this year on suspicion of raping and murdering two teenage girls in a case that sparked global outrage.

The cousins, aged 14 and 15, were found hanging from a tree in an impoverished village in northern Uttar Pradesh state in May.

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), India's top investigative agency, said it would not "as yet" file charges against the men, citing a lack of evidence, but did not rule out future charges.

The men are expected to be released on Friday after 90 days in detention, the maximum time that a person can be held without being charged in India.

 
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!

Videos