Thursday, Aug 21, 2014Thursday, Aug 21, 2014
Asia
 

Death toll rises to 19 in India gas pipeline blast

Published on Jun 29, 2014 4:30 PM
 
Indian villagers walk at the site of a pipeline blast at Nagaram village of East Godavari in southern Andhra Pradesh state, on June 27, 2014. The death toll in a massive explosion on a state-owned gas pipeline running through southern India has risen to 19, officials said on Sunday, June 29, 2014, while police confirmed a case of negligence was filed against the company. -- PHOTO: AFP 

NEW DELHI (AFP) - The death toll in a massive explosion on a state-owned gas pipeline running through southern India has risen to 19, officials said on Sunday, while police confirmed a case of negligence was filed against the company.

A senior official from the East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh state, where the blast occurred on Friday, told AFP that the death toll was expected to rise further as some of the injured remained in critical condition.

"19 people have died so far, of the 17 injured, six people have suffered 80 per cent burns," Mr Vijay Kumar, a senior Andhra Pradesh police official, told AFP on Sunday.

The cause of the fire on the 18-inch (45-centimetre) pipeline owned by the Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL), which gutted scores of huts in the coastal area, is still being investigated by the state authorities. Police said a case of negligence has been filed against GAIL based on a complaint from a local state official.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos