Builders blamed as India collapse toll rises to 17
Published on Jun 30, 2014 1:05 PM
NEW DELHI (AFP) - The confirmed death toll from India's latest building collapse rose to 17 on Monday as authorities blamed shoddy construction for the tragedy near the southern city of Chennai.
As rescuers extended their search through the rubble of the 11-storey complex into a third day, officials said the death toll had risen by six from their last update.
"Total of 38 (bodies) have been retrieved so far, 21 of them alive and 17 dead," S. P. Selvan, a senior officer from the National Disaster Response Force, told reporters from the accident site in Tamil Nadu state on Monday.
An undetermined number of people were still trapped in the wreckage. Rescuers faced a huge challenge trying to remove the rubble of what had been a partially-build residential complex and the operation could take several more days, added Selvan.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!