Afghanistan tightens election security after assassination attempt on Abdullah
Published on Jun 8, 2014 4:34 PM
KABUL (REUTERS) - Security is being ramped up so the two candidates in Afghanistan's presidential election run-off next week can continue campaigning after an attack on one of them killed 12 people, an Interior Ministry spokesman said on Sunday.
Front-runner Abdullah Abdullah escaped an assassination attempt on Friday when two bombs blew up outside a hotel where he had just staged a rally. One of the cars in his convoy was destroyed.
The death toll from the attack in the Afghan capital had been put at six but had doubled to 12 by Sunday, with at least 40 people wounded.
"Security measures have been tightened from last night," Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!