US calls for release of two men facing N.Korea trial
Published on Jul 1, 2014 7:02 AM
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The United States on Monday called for the release of two American citizens facing trial in North Korea on charges that Pyongyang says include “perpetrating hostile acts.”
North Korea’s official KCNA news agency said earlier that suspicions about Matthew Todd Miller and Jeffrey Edward Fowle had been confirmed by evidence and their own testimony.
“There’s no greater priority for us than the welfare and safety of US citizens abroad,” State Department spokesman Jen Psaki told reporters.
“Out of humanitarian concern for Mr Fowle and Mr Miller and their families, we request North Korea release them so they may return home,” she added, without confirming reports that the men are facing trial, nor the charges leveled against them.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here