Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014
Asia
 

Tiananmen vehicle attack suspects stand trial in China: Court

Published on Jun 13, 2014 5:41 PM
 

BEIJING (AFP) - Suspects involved in a fiery vehicle attack last year at Beijing's Tiananmen Square stood trial on Friday, a court said, as China pursues a crackdown on violence linked to its restive Xinjiang region.

The authorities say three ethnic Uighurs from Xinjiang drove an SUV loaded with petrol canisters towards the gate of the Forbidden City in late October, killing two bystanders as well as the three in the car, and injuring 40 people.

"A public trial in Urumqi, Xinjiang, heard the case of suspects involved with committing a serious violent terrorist incident in Beijing on Oct 28," said the Xinjiang Supreme Court in a posting on Sina Weibo, China's version of Twitter.

The statement did not say how many people stood trial, but added that "five accomplices" were previously arrested in relation to the incident.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos