Wednesday, Sep 3, 2014Wednesday, Sep 3, 2014
Asia
 

Suspect killed after trying to seize primary school in China: Media

Published on Jun 10, 2014 3:32 PM
 

BEIJING (AFP) - The police in China killed a suspect who was attempting to take over a primary school on Tuesday, state media said, in the latest incident targeting children.

The unnamed suspect was shot dead on Tuesday morning after trying to seize control of the school in Qianjiang in central China's Hubei province, according to the provincial news website Jingchu network.

The police believe the suspect may have left an explosive device on the campus, said state broadcaster CCTV, adding that teachers and students had been moved to a safe location. No further details were available.

China has seen several attacks against children in recent years, including a spate of incidents in 2010 that left 17 people dead - 15 of them children - and wounded more than 80.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos