South-west China quake: Residents frantically search for survivors beneath toppled buildings
Published on Aug 3, 2014 10:21 PM
BEIJING (AFP) - At least 150 people were killed and 1,300 injured after a strong earthquake hit south-west China's mountainous Yunnan province on Sunday, state media said.
The quake in Zhaotong prefecture, in the province's north-east, toppled buildings and left residents frantically searching for survivors beneath the rubble, images on social media showed.
"At least 150 people were killed," the official news agency Xinhua reported. "Too many buildings were damaged and we are collecting data on deaths and injuries," Xinhua quoted a local official as saying from the township of Longtoushan, at the epicentre of the quake.
China News Service, the country's second state news agency, said more than 1,300 people had been injured and 12,000 houses had collapsed.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!