Sunday, Dec 28, 2014Sunday, Dec 28, 2014
 

South Korea ferry disaster: Divers retrieve more bodies

Published on May 10, 2014 12:26 PM
 
A family member of a missing passenger onboard the sunken Sewol ferry prays near yellow ribbons dedicated to the dead and missing passengers tied to a railing at a port in Jindo on May 9, 2014. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

SEOUL (AFP) - Divers have retrieved two more bodies from the wreckage of the South Korean ferry that sank last month, as conditions on the ship further deteriorated, officials said on Saturday.

The bodies were found late on Friday in the inverted, submerged ship, bringing the confirmed death toll from the April 16 disaster to 275, coastguard spokesman Ko Myung Suk told journalists. Twenty-nine are still unaccounted for.

Divers have now swept through most of the ship, which is resting on its side at a depth of more than 40 metres off the country's southern coast. But as days go by, they are retrieving fewer and fewer bodies.

The divers have also reported that partition walls on the ship have started warping and are at risk of collapsing, which would further complicate their work, a government task force said in a statement.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos