Saturday, Aug 23, 2014Saturday, Aug 23, 2014
Asia
 

South Korea conscript who killed 5 comrades continues standoff with troops

Published on Jun 23, 2014 9:02 AM
 
South Korean soldiers take their positions during a search and arrest operation in Goseong June 22, 2014. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

SEOUL (REUTERS) - A South Korean conscript soldier who killed five of his comrades in a grenade and gun attack continued a standoff on Monday with troops trying to capture him in a region bordering North Korea, officials said.

Officials at the Defence Ministry and the Army said news reports of the capture of the soldier, identified by his last name Lim, were wrong.

Yonhap news agency and YTN television said earlier on Monday that the soldier had been captured.

Late on Saturday night the soldier threw a grenade and opened fire, killing five members of his unit and wounding seven at an outpost in the base at Goseong county, a mountainous region on the eastern coast of the peninsula.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos