Wednesday, Oct 1, 2014Wednesday, Oct 1, 2014
Asia
 

Sea traffic controllers probed over South Korea ferry: Reports

Published on Apr 27, 2014 2:35 PM
 
A family member of a missing passenger onboard the capsized Sewol ferry looks to the sea as he waits for the news from the search and rescue team at a port in Jindo on April 27, 2014. South Korean prosecutors raided the offices of state sea traffic controllers, media reports said on Sunday, April 27, 2014, as part of a widening probe into a ferry disaster that left 300 dead or missing. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

SEOUL (AFP) - South Korean prosecutors raided the offices of state sea traffic controllers, media reports said on Sunday, as part of a widening probe into a ferry disaster that left 300 dead or missing.

The move is the latest in an investigation whose scope is broadening as officials scurry to assuage mounting public anger over the April 16 tragedy and the subsequent rescue efforts.

Earlier on Sunday, Prime Minister Chung Hong Won fell on his sword, the most high-profile resignation so far, after admitting he had not been able to prevent the accident or deal adequately with its aftermath.

Prosecutors are already holding all 15 surviving crew members who were responsible for sailing the vessel. They face charges ranging from criminal negligence to abandoning passengers.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos