Runaway soldier captured after he shot himself, says South Korea
Published on Jun 23, 2014 2:31 PM
SEOUL (AFP) - A South Korean military conscript who killed five members of his unit was captured Monday after shooting himself in the side following a standoff with thousands of troops, the defence ministry said.
"He shot himself in the side and we have captured him alive," a ministry spokesman told AFP, adding that the 22-year-old sergeant had been taken to hospital.
Thousands of soldiers backed by special forces units and army helicopters had surrounded the conscript, identified by his family name Lim, after he was tracked down Sunday afternoon to a forested area south of the heavily militarised frontier with North Korea.
Armed with a K-2 assault rifle and a stash of ammunition, Lim went on the run on Saturday night after killing five fellow soldiers at a frontline border outpost.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here