Parents of students on sunken South Korea ferry stage protest at school
Published on Apr 16, 2014 1:49 PM
SEOUL (The Korea Herald/Asia News Network) - Around 250 parents of students on the Sewol ferry that sank off South Jeolla province, South Korea on Wednesday staged a protest at Danwon High School, calling for specific information about their children’s safety.
At the high school in Ansan, Gyeonggi Province, the parents demanded a list of passengers who had been rescued, following mixed news reports about the rescue operations.
The sunken ferry set off from Incheon carrying 477 people, including 324 students and 14 teachers on a school trip to Jejudo Island. The 6,325-tonne Sewol began to sink at around 9 am on Wednesday off the coast of Jindo Island, South Jeolla province.
Officials at the school initially said that all 338 passengers from the school had been rescued, and Mr Lee Gyeong Og, the vice-minister of security and public administration, later said 368 had been rescued and two were confirmed dead. 107 people are still unaccounted for.