Hong Kong takes Ebola 'contingency' measures
Published on Jul 30, 2014 11:18 PM
HONG KONG (AFP) - Hong Kong said on Wednesday it was quarantining all people from Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia who were showing Ebola-like symptoms on arrival in the city, as fears grow worldwide about the spread of the deadly virus.
Ebola has so far killed 670 people in the three west African countries, with 1,200 cases reported there and another in Nigeria, and the European Union is increasingly anxious that the outbreak could reach Europe.
Hong Kong, a densely populated city of some seven million people, is particularly alert to the spread of viruses after severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) killed almost 300 people eleven years ago.
Local media reports in the southern Chinese city on Wednesday said that a woman who had visited Kenya had briefly been quarantined on her return to Hong Kong.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here