Sunday, Dec 21, 2014Sunday, Dec 21, 2014
 

Death toll in South Korea ferry disaster rises to 236

Published on May 3, 2014 8:16 PM
 
A mourner cries next to yellow ribbons dedicated to missing and dead passengers of sunken passenger ship Sewol, after paying tribute at the official memorial altar in Ansan on May 2, 2014. Eight more bodies were recovered on Saturday from the ferry that sank off South Korea last month, reports said, amid concern that some of the missing may never be found. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

SEOUL (AFP) - Eight more bodies were recovered on Saturday from the ferry that sank off South Korea last month, reports said, amid concern that some of the missing may never be found.

Seventeen days after the 6,825-tonne Sewol capsized and sank, 236 people have been confirmed dead with 66 still unaccounted for, according to Yonhap news agency.

Earlier Saturday, the search had been suspended due to fast currents and high waves whipped up by gusty winds, according to a coastguard spokesman.

Dive teams have been working in challenging and sometimes hazardous conditions.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos