Death for killer of Chinese family planning officials: Report
Published on Jun 19, 2014 2:45 PM
BEIJING (AFP) - China on Thursday sentenced a man to death for murdering two family planning officials, state media said, in a case highlighting the tensions caused by the country's birth restrictions.
A court in the south-western province of Guangxi found He Shenguo guilty of stabbing the officials to death in Dongxing city last July, state broadcaster CCTV said. He had "illegally fathered a fourth child", the broadcaster added.
China restricts most couples to having one child under regulations introduced in the late 1970s. Authorities use permits, fines and in some cases forced sterilisations and late-term abortions to enforce the rules, sometimes brutally, especially in poorer provinces such as Guangxi.
He had not paid fines levied against him for fathering the extra children, reports said last year, adding that several other people were injured in the attack.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!