China suspends some 'exchange plans' with Vietnam following protests over oil rig
Published on May 18, 2014 4:55 PM
BEIJING (AFP) - China said Sunday it has suspended some plans for bilateral exchanges with Vietnam following deadly anti-Chinese violence there, as Hanoi sought to quell protests over a Chinese oil rig in disputed waters.
The unrest in Vietnam has so far led to the deaths of two Chinese nationals and evacuation of more than 3,000, including 16 who were "critically injured", the official news agency Xinhua reported earlier.
The violence was "damaging the atmosphere and conditions for exchanges and cooperation between China and Vietnam", foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei said in a statement on the ministry's website.
"The Chinese side as of today... suspended part of its bilateral exchange plans," Mr Hong said, without specifying what the plans entailed. "China will see how the situation develops and look into taking further steps," he said.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here