Sunday, Oct 26, 2014Sunday, Oct 26, 2014
 

China says US report on defence budget plays up 'Chinese military threat'

Published on Jun 6, 2014 2:43 PM
 

BEIJING (AFP) - China's defence ministry on Friday hit back at a US report which claimed Beijing underestimated its growing defence budget by nearly 20 per cent, state-media said.

In an annual report required by Congress, the Pentagon said that China's defence budget for 2013 was likely nearing US$145 billion (S$180 billion) last year, higher than the officially announced US$119.5 billion.

But China's defence ministry said in a statement that it "resolutely opposes" the report, state-run Xinhua news agency said.

The report "makes pointless accusations, exaggerates the 'Chinese military threat' and is a completely wrong course of action," Xinhua cited the ministry's information office as saying.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos