China says still no compensation from Vietnam for riot victims
Published on Jun 6, 2014 5:44 PM
BEIJING (Reuters) - China said on Friday it had received no compensation from Vietnam for losses inflicted by anti-Chinese riots in Vietnam last month, demanding that Hanoi pay up and punish assailants responsible for the widespread damage.
A flare-up in strained ties over disputed sovereignty in the South China Sea sparked last month's protests after China towed an oil rig to an area claimed by both sides. The issue triggered a rampage of arson, destruction and looting of Chinese-owned factories and businesses mistaken for being Chinese. At least four people died.
China has repeatedly pressed Vietnam to compensate its citizens and companies. "As of today, Vietnam has not provided any compensation at all," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a daily news briefing. "We demand that Vietnam take earnest steps to guarantee the safety of Chinese bodies and personnel in Vietnam, severely punish the assailants who created the disturbances and fully compensate the losses of Chinese companies and individuals."
Fighting between Vietnamese and Chinese workers broke out in central Ha Tinh province, killing at least four people and wounding at least 100. About 4,000 Chinese workers subsequently left Vietnam.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!