New Zealander, Australian killed in Yemen drone strike
Published on Apr 16, 2014 3:38 PM
WELLINGTON (AFP) - A New Zealander with terrorism links was killed in a United States drone strike in Yemen last year, Prime Minister John Key said Wednesday, with Canberra confirming that an Australian was also killed in the attack.
The man who called himself "Muslim bin John" was born in New Zealand and had been attending "some sort of terrorist training camp" in Yemen, Mr Key said.
"I was advised it was highly likely he was killed in the latter part of 2013 but it took some time to confirm that through DNA," he told reporters.
The Australian newspaper said that the man died in a US Predator drone strike on five Al-Qaeda militants travelling in a convoy of cars in Yemen in November.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!