Iraq suicide bomber was 18-year-old Australian teen
Published on Jul 21, 2014 4:00 PM
SYDNEY (AFP) - An 18-year-old Australian man was behind a deadly suicide bomb attack in Iraq last week, authorities said Monday, with Attorney-General George Brandis calling it a "disturbing development".
The blast last Thursday near a mosque in Baghdad left several dead, including the teenager, who left Melbourne for the region last year.
Reports said the Islamic State militant group named him as Abu Bakr al-Australi on an affiliated Twitter feed, with Brandis' office confirming he was Australian.
"This is a disturbing development and is a further example of the dangerous and volatile situation in Iraq at present," Brandis said in a statement.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!