Once seen as kitschy and touristy, Hawaiian shirts now have a cool street cred.
Marc Jacobs, Polo Ralph Lauren and Scotch & Soda are just some fashion brands that have reinterpreted the Hawaiian shirt, sometimes called the aloha shirt, in subdued colours and prints this season.
The style has been around since the early 1900s and was originally made in its namesake American state from the bark of the paper mulberry tree and dyed in bright colours.
It evolved over time to include images of flora and fauna as well as random icons and logos and resurfaced as a fashion trend about two years ago.
How to style it:
• Save a looser style for the weekends and choose one that is slim-fit for the office - if your office allows such relaxed styles.
• For festive occasions, try wearing a Hawaiian shirt with a suit. The contrast of prints and colours is eye-catching enough so do away with accessories.
• Toughen up the floral element of Hawaiian shirts with dark jeans and cool sunglasses.
• If you find wearing a dark printed shirt with dark bottoms too sombre, wear the shirt unbuttoned over a white T-shirt. It will help break the monotony of the look.
Here are some outfit suggestions:
1. Multi-coloured print shirt, $19.90, H&M; and 501 Original Jeans in black, $89.90, Levi's
2. Palm Dog short-sleeved shirt in dark charcoal, $76, Quiksilver; and cotton chino shorts in rust, $79, Cos
Hawaiian shirts are a fun alternative to pairing a T-shirt with shorts. A cool pair of sunglasses completes the look.
3. White shirt with blue prints, $57.90, Native Youth from Zalora.sg; and Ueto grey suit, $199 (usual price $398), and trousers, $89.50 (usual price $178), Benjamin Barker
4. Blue and white printed shirt, $25.90 (usual price $59.90), Zara; and Ueto grey suit, $199 (usual price $398), and trousers, $89.50 (usual price $178), Benjamin Barker
Inject an element of fun into a serious suit with a short- or long-sleeved Hawaiian shirt.