Live orchestral performance as Two Towers screens simultaneously
Enjoy an orchestral performance of the music soundtrack as The Lord Of The Rings film unfolds on the big screen
Published on May 22, 2014 12:17 PM
A year after playing the music of film- maker Peter Jackson's first The Lord Of The Rings movie straight through in concerts, Singapore's independent Metropolitan Festival Orchestra is bringing you its sequel next month.
Under the baton of American composer- conductor Justin Freer, the 251 musicians will perform Howard Shore's entire soundtrack score of The Two Towers (2002), the second in the multiple- Oscar-winning film trilogy. The 180-minute movie will be projected simultaneously on a 15.3m by 6.47m screen at The Star Theatre.
In an e-mail interview, Los Angeles-based Freer, 34, says: "For me, the most astounding part of this show is the opportunity to truly realise the power and importance of what music does for film.
"Your body cannot feel this in a movie theatre or living room. If it were up to me, movies would be presented only this way around the world."
Calling The Lord Of The Rings world one of "immense colour, texture, rhythm and harmony", he praises the themes and motifs running through the score as "divine". The idea behind the project, he adds, is to capture as much of what was presented originally against the film as possible. The films were based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien.
The upcoming concerts - three shows over June 6 and 7 - will also feature American vocalist Rosalind Waters, the Vocal Associates Festival Chorus and Children's Choir, and boy soprano Samuel Yuen.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS
Where: The Star Theatre, The Star Performing Arts Centre, 1 Vista Exchange Green
When: June 6, 7.30pm, and June 7, 1 and 7.30pm
Admission: $28 to $188 from Sistic (go to www.sistic.com.sg or call 6348-5555)
The Straits Times is giving away 40 pairs of tickets worth more than $15,000 to the The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers movie with live soundtrack performance by the Metropolitan Festival Orchestra on June 7 and the rehearsal on June 5.
In addition, four lucky readers will each get an exclusive pair of VIP box tickets, valued at $250 each (includes show, rehearsal and a backstage tour).
Answer this question: Who is the composer of the music for the The Lord Of The Rings film trilogy?
A. Justin Freer
B. Howard Shore
C. Rosalind Waters
SMS your answer to 14607-7877 in this format: STARLOTR<space>answer<space>NRIC<space>e-mail<space>name
For example: STARLOTR A S1234567D email@example.com mary tan
The deadline is May 29, 11.59pm
Terms and conditions
- All correct entries will be eligible for a lucky draw on May 30 at SPH News Centre.
- Forty-four readers will each win an exclusive admission to a closed-door rehearsal on June 5 at 7.30pm and a pair of tickets to the matinee performance on June 7. They will be notified by e-mail on the ticket-collection details.
- Staff of SPH and their immediate family members are not eligible to join the contest.
- SMS entries sent via automated applications on or from computers, mobile apps or any kind of device are ineligible for the contest. Each SMS costs $0.21 (w/GST).
- In the event that the winner is unable to attend the show, the organisers reserve the right to select another winner.
- Participants below the age of 18 must seek parental consent.
- ST reserves the right, at any time in its sole and absolute discretion, to substitute, withdraw, add to or alter any of the prizes offered without notice to the participants.
- ST reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions of the contest without prior notice.