Sunday, Dec 28, 2014Sunday, Dec 28, 2014
 

British singer Cliff Richard cancels cathedral performance amid abuse allegations

Published on Aug 20, 2014 1:33 AM
 
Singer Cliff Richard, seen here in a file picture arriving for the memorial service marking the 10th anniversary of the death of Princess Diana in London, has cancelled a performance he was due to give next month in Canterbury Cathedral, his spokesman said on Tuesday. -- PHOTO: AFP

LONDON (REUTERS) - British singer Cliff Richard, whose house was searched last week by police investigating allegations of a sexual offence involving an underage boy in the 1980s, has cancelled a performance he was due to give next month in Canterbury Cathedral, his spokesman said on Tuesday.

Richard, 73, who was in Portugal when the search was carried out, has denied any wrongdoing.

He has stayed at his Portuguese home since the search of the property in Berkshire, southern England, and was due to return to Britain next month.

"Sir Cliff was due to perform on Sept 26 at a charitable event in Canterbury Cathedral but doesn't want the event to be overshadowed by the false allegation and has therefore withdrawn," his spokesman said in a short statement.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here