NEW YORK • When actor Jeremy Renner is not helping to save the world in The Avengers or Mission: Impossible films, or selling the cognac lifestyle as the new face of Remy Martin, the 45-year-old can be found with paintbrush in hand.
In the past 15 years, he has bought and remodelled more than 20 homes, from a 1920s Art Deco mansion to a cabin in Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
"There's a lot of great old architecture out there," he says. "You just have to reimagine it with today's living standards."
He has these tips on decorating:
• Colour is completely subjective, so stay away from trends. Use paint with a neutral or earth palette on the walls and then add some jewel tones to the room with a couch or throw pillows. You can always hang a painting to add a little pop.
• It is amazing what a plant in the corner of the room can do for you, both aesthetically and mentally. Plants are a great way to bring colour into a room and they also provide some fresh air.
• In no instance should your headboard be against a window - you want to lie in bed and look at the view.
• Do not pick just one aesthetic for the whole house - that can feel a little sterile. Feel free to combine wood, metal and fabrics such as velvet.
• Every home should have two things: a bar and a really nice bed. I like to entertain and having a bar to hang out at is so much better than hanging out in the kitchen.