For peanut sauce
• 250g peanuts with skin, roasted
• 5 shallots
• 6 red chillies
• 4 tbsp palm sugar
• 1 tsp limo lime or lime juice (optional)
• 2 tsp salt or to taste
• 600ml water
• 600g chicken thigh meat, cut into 2cm cubes
• 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce
• 2 tsp cooking oil
• bamboo skewers (about 20)
• sweet soy sauce (optional)
• limo lime, lime or calamansi, halved
• fried shallots
To make peanut sauce:
1. Using a food processor, grind peanuts, shallots and chillies together until the preferred consistency.
2. Transfer to a sauce pot along with the rest of the peanut sauce ingredients and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat, and let the sauce simmer until it thickens. Remove from heat.
To prepare satay:
4. Place chicken, sweet soy sauce, oil, and 150g of peanut sauce in a mixing bowl.
5. Mix together and marinate for 30 minutes.Thread the marinated chicken onto the bamboo skewers.
6. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side until the chicken pieces are cooked and slightly charred.
7. Baste with marinade as needed. Serve the satay with peanut sauce and accompaniments on the side.
Makes about 20 sticks.