• 1kg oxtail
• 2.5 litre water
• 2 tbsp margarine
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 30g ginger
• grated nutmeg, to taste
• 1 leek, sliced
• 200g carrot, cubed
• 250g potato, cubed
• salt, sugar and ground white pepper to taste
For spice paste (blended together)
• 10 shallots, roughly sliced
• 7 garlic cloves, peeled
• 7 white peppercorns
• 1 tomato, cut into wedges
• 10g celery, sliced thinly
• 10g spring onion, sliced finely
• 10g fried shallot crisps
• 1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Boil water in a large pot. Add oxtail. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 2 to 3 hours, or until oxtail is cooked.
2. Remove oxtail from the stock and set aside. Strain the stock to get a clear broth. Return broth and oxtail back to the pot.
3. In a frying pan over medium heat, add margarine and saute the spice paste, cinnamon stick, ginger and nutmeg until fragrant.
4. Add this to the pot with broth and oxtail. Bring the oxtail and broth back to a boil. Add the leek, carrot and potato.
5. Season to taste with salt, sugar and ground white pepper.
6. Reduce heat and cook until potato is tender. Turn off the heat.
7. Serve the oxtail soup garnished with tomato, celery, spring onion, fried shallots, and lime.