This video was first published on www.straitstimes.com on Dec 19, 2015.
SINGAPORE - If you're hosting a dinner party this season, roast a leg of lamb with Provencal herbs to impress the guests. It sounds fancy but it is easy to prepare and a breeze to cook.
Park Hotel Alexandra's executive sous chef Ian Hioe demonstrates how simple the recipe is in this video.
ROAST LEG OF LAMB WITH PROVENCAL HERBS
2kg boneless leg of lamb, with netting
1/3 cup olive oil
1Tbs sea salt
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
For the marinade:
3tsp Dijon mustard
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
8 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium white onion, peeled and diced finely
1tsp English parsley, chopped
For the herb crust:
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
5 sprigs of thyme, chopped
1Tbs English parsley, chopped
2Tbs Dijon mustard
Sprigs of rosemary
1. Season the boneless leg of lamb with olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper. Rub the seasoning all over the lamb leg. Set aside.
2. Add all the ingredients for the marinade into a large bowl and mix well.
3. Rub the marinade all over the seasoned lamb. Cover the lamb with clingwrap and leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least an hour.
4. Take the lamb out of the fridge and leave it to rest at room temperature for an hour. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 165 deg C.
5. Place the lamb on a wire rack in a roasting pan. Cover with aluminium foil and roast the lamb in oven for 90 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 55 to 58 deg C. Add another 15 minutes cooking time if you prefer the lamb to be more cooked.
6. Take the lamb out of the oven and leave it to rest covered, for 15 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, prepare the herb crust. In a clean bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, rosemary, thyme and parsley and mix well.
8. Brush the lamb with Dijon mustard then coat it with the breadcrumb mixture. Pat it in firmly.
9. Put the lamb back into the oven, uncovered, to brown the herb crust. It should take about five minutes for the herb crust to turn golden brown. Remove from oven.
10. Carve to serve. Garnish with fresh sprigs of rosemary and serve with mint sauce and mustard.
Serves eight to 10 people.