How do you care for frizzy hair in Singapore's humidity?
Mr Adam Reed, 43, creative director of London-based hair care label Percy & Reed, says frizziness occurs when the cuticle layer (the outermost layer) of the hair is raised due to dehydration. This allows moisture to pass through and make the strands swell up.
As humidity increases, the increased moisture in the air means more hair swelling and more frizz.
Here are his tips to keep hair frizz-free:
• Cold rinse
Rinse hair with cold water after using shampoo and conditioner. This helps to constrict the cuticles and minimise frizz.
• Use frizz fighting treatments
These can be applied to the hair after a wash and give it extra protection against humidity. Look for protein-infused hair treatments that target frizz and strengthen hair.
• Do not be afraid of using hair oils
A good oil will seal the cuticle and strengthen the hair. Look for a high-grade oil, which is finer in texture and will be more easily absorbed by the hair. The oil should not sit on top of the hair and leave it feeling heavy or greasy.
• Stop using shampoo every day
Shampooing daily dehydrates the hair. Try using a dry shampoo as a substitute for regular shampoo every two to three days.
• Air-dry hair before blow-drying
Heat causes the cuticle to swell. It is better to let hair air-dry 80 per cent of the way before using a hair dryer.
Here are some products that will help to tame frizzy hair:
1. 10 Day Tamer Pre-wash Treatment, $21.90, from John Frieda, available at all Watsons, Guardian, Cold Storage, FairPrice Finest and FairPrice Xtra outlets
Formulated to target frizz, this creamy treatment claims to act as a barrier against humidity, keeping the hair smooth and sleek.
2. Wonder Overnight Recovery hair treatment cream, $42, from Percy & Reed, available at Sephora
This creamy formula absorbs quickly into the hair and contains natural protein, which the label says helps to boost the hair's ability to retain moisture and battle humidity.
3. Extraordinary Oil Eclat Imperial High Shine Oil, $26.90, from L'Oreal, available at Watsons and Guardian
A light-weight and non-greasy formula that is said to be instantly absorbed into hair, making it soft and lustrous.
4. Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo, $32, from Living Proof, available at Sephora
A dry shampoo that is said to absorb and remove oil, sweat and odour without leaving visible residue or a powdery build-up.
5. Haircare Dry Shampoo, $36, from Ouai, available at Sephora
This dry shampoo contains volcanic minerals and which claims to absorb and neutralise oil. It is also free of talc and parabens.