How do I choose the right make-up remover?
Washing off your make-up before the end of the day is essential to keeping your skin clean and fresh. Removing all the products from your skin ensures that it can renew itself through the night and helps to prevent clogged pores and early ageing.
But with all types of removers available, it can be difficult to pick the right one. Here is a breakdown to make selection easier.
A good cleansing oil should be able to remove waterproof make-up and long-lasting products such as liquid lipstick. Oils also help moisturise the skin and regulate oil production, so they are great for dry and oily skin types.
PRODUCTS TO TRY
1. Eye & Lip Make Up Remover, $15.90, from Maybelline counters A great formula that is tough on stubborn make-up, but gentle on the eyes.
2. Micellar Cleansing Water, $17.90, from Garnier, available at Watsons, Guardian and major hypermarts A light textured remover that works on liquid lipstick and most waterproof eyeliners.
3. Express Cleansing Wipes, $14, from Sephora A quick and convenient on-the-go option.
4. Foam Remover, $45, from Make Up Store A gentle oil and fragrance-free foam cleanser that removes make-up and can be used around the eyes.
5. Make-up Removing Cleansing Oil, $32, from Caudalie at Sephora A nourishing formula that removes all types of make-up, including waterproof products.
The product is made of micelles, which are tiny oil molecules suspended in soft water. These are supposed to attract dirt particles and draw out impurities without drying the skin. Its light, watery texture also feels comfortable on the skin. Though it usually takes a few swipes to remove stronger make-up, the product does not leave the skin feeling heavy.
Foam removers usually double as make-up removers and cleansers, taking off make-up and removing dirt at the same time. Those with dry skin might find certain formulas drying.
For those always on the go, wipes can be handy. They do not take up much space and can still remove tough make-up efficiently.