How do I style pyjama shirts?
A pyjama shirt is typically a loose-fitting shirt made of silk material with contrast piping and button details.
The trend first appeared on the Spring 2016 runways and the appeal of comfortable lounge wear soon trickled down to the street, despite the challenge of making the pyjama shirt look stylish and appropriate outside the bedroom.
Ms Wahyu Rahman, founder of image and branding consultancy @MissHyu and founder of fashion label Mila Musa, says the key is to keep the trend "polished, modern and more ladylike than what one would wear to bed".
That would include always ensuring that your pyjama shirt is crease-free and that your hair and make-up are styled and bold to counteract the casual feel of the shirt.
She adds: "Eye-catching accessories, such as a graphic-print purse or fringed bag, can help your pyjama shirt look more appropriate for day."
She shares tips on how to style the trend for the weekend, work and evening dates:
1. FOR CASUAL WEEKENDS
• Whether you wear a pyjama shirt with jeans or shorts, go for the most sophisticated and polished accessories to avoid a sloppy look.
• When choosing footwear, go for sneakers, stilettos or wedges, not sloppy-looking shoes such as mules or backless loafers.
Outfit suggestions: Midnight blue silk pyjama jacket, $295, from Maison Zhou; fringed hem Dree cropped jeans, $89.90, from Topshop; crossbody faux leather bag with fringe detail, $118.49, Guess from Zalora.sg; and hot pink flats with bow detail, $160, from Pedder Red.
2. FOR WORK
• Pyjama shirts with contrast piping or in a solid colour are the most suitable for the office.
• A structured blazer or a leather jacket will instantly make the look more stylish.
• For a more professional look, tightly tuck in your shirt and pin your hair back in a low bun. Wear a pair of classic pointy-toed heels.
Outfit suggestion: Silver silk shirt with metallised fibre, $119, from H&M; navy milano ribbed wide pants, $39.90, from Uniqlo; and embossed leather high heels, $149, from Zara.
3. FOR EVENINGS
• Choose a menswear-inspired silk pyjama shirt set in a rich jewel colour, such as midnight blue or plum.
• Wear the shirt untucked with a chain belt to accentuate the sexy flowy silhouette.
• Go for a bold make-up look, such as kohl-lined eyes or bold red lips.
• For accessories, go for statement jewellery and high heels to look more polished.
Outfit suggestion: Burgundy polyester robe with floral print, $139, and matching trousers, $89.90, both from Mango; silver metallic leather belt, $39, from Cos; double pearl necklace, $275, from Bimba Y Lola; and embossed faux leather pumps, $56.90, from Charles & Keith.