Minimalism is so last season. Now, everything from jeans and jackets to shoes and bags are covered in pretty botanical-inspired embroidery.
High-end brands such as British brand Alexander McQueen featured elaborate embroidery all over a denim coat in its Spring 2016 collection. US Vogue editor Anna Wintour, 66, has also been spotted in a black coat peppered with colourful flowers and plants sewn on it.
Compared with silkscreen graphics and patterns, embroidery has a more artisanal feel. Although the subject matter is typically flora and fauna, anything goes - words, patterns or random logos.
Satin bomber jackets with a large embroidered picture on the back look athletic and cool, while flowy blouses with embroidered Aztec-inspired patterns are more folksy.
Here are tips to pull off the look:
• To avoid looking dated, style this trend with edgy accessories such as leather boots.
• The trend looks more stylish when done in small doses. For casual days, keep the embroidery to one part of your outfit. An all-over embroidered dress is more suited for a dressy event such as a wedding.
• Although some embroidered patches have interesting illustrations, they tend to look haphazard when ironed or sewn on clothes. Go for apparel or accessories that have embroidery sewn on.
Here are Life's picks:
1. Light denim jeans with embroidery at knees, $149.90, Jucy Judy, from Zalora.sg
The placement of the embroidery makes this pair of jeans stand out. Wear this with a printed collared shirt for a fun and quirky look.
2. Embroidered long dress, $169, from Mango
A tone-on-tone embroidery on this viscose dress is a subtle take on the trend. Wear with backless loafers.
3. Sleeveless top with floral embroidery, $91.80, from iROO
This casual top works well with jeans, trousers or skirts.
4. Halterneck top with beaded embroidery, $199, from H&M at Orchard Building
Layer this dressy top which is richly textured with delicate beading with a white T-shirt or over a shirt dress.
5. Embroidered heeled sandals, $119, from Topshop
Wear this with an A-line mini skirt to show off the embroidery and wrap-ankle detail.