Jumpsuits are the new eveningwear for fancy cocktail parties.
Gowns are cumbersome and pantsuits are too formal, but jumpsuits offer both style and comfort.
Even celebrities agree. American model Kendall Jenner, pop star Taylor Swift and actresses Margot Robbie and Rosie HuntingtonWhiteley have worn jumpsuits for parties and on the red carpet and stood out for their refreshing and unconventional sartorial choices.
The key to pulling off a jumpsuit is wearing one with a streamlined silhouette. Avoid those with collars or short sleeves as they veer into the frumpy category.
A safe option for most women would be jumpsuits with wide-leg or palazzo pants, which adds to the illusion of having long and lean legs.
How to style it:
• Styling a jumpsuit with a sling bag will make it look too casual. Use a clutch instead to look more chic.
• Look taller by wearing jumpsuits with extra-long pant legs. Unless you are tall, heels or platform shoes are a must.
• If you do not typically wear accessories, choose a silk jumpsuit or one in an embellished material for a more luxurious and dressy feel.
• A sharply tailored blazer dresses up a jumpsuit - have fun by wearing a blazer in a contrasting print or colour.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Navy satin trim halterneck jumpsuit, $139, Topshop
Show off toned arms in this sexy halterneck style. Accessorise with thick gold cuffs and a matching gold clutch.
2. Sleeveless metallic jumpsuit, $139, Mango
The stretchy material of this jumpsuit, made from polyamide with metallic yarn and elastane, makes it comfortable to wear. Pair this with silver-themed accessories or a belt with a statement buckle.
3. Coral open-back sleeveless jumpsuit, $159, Warehouse
Stand out from the crowd with this jumpsuit with an open-back detail. A pair of white heels or a white clutch will contrast beautifully against the coral colour of the jumpsuit.
4. Dusk-pink pleated strapless jumpsuit, $249, Collate
Dare to bare your shoulders in this jumpsuit made with heavy crepe, or pair it with a white sleeveless long vest.