Top Gun sequel set to fly

Hollywood actor Tom Cruise confirms he's returning to the role of Maverick in Top Gun sequel. VIDEO: REUTERS

LOS ANGELES •Actor Tom Cruise, still feeling the need for speed, said in an interview that a sequel to his 1986 military action film Top Gun is "definitely happening".

The 54-year-old, currently promoting his latest film The Mummy, was speaking on the Wednesday edition of Australia's morning television show Sunrise when he was asked by the host if rumours of Top Gun 2 were true.

"It's true, it's true," he said, grinning as he added: "I'm going to start filming it probably in the next year. It's happening."

He played cocky pilot Maverick in Top Gun, one of the top students in a United States training camp for elite military fighter pilots, and engaged in a bitter rivalry with a fellow pilot played by Val Kilmer.

The Paramount Pictures film launched Cruise as a global action star and grossed more than US$350 million globally, according to data site Box Office Mojo.

Representatives for Paramount Pictures declined to comment on whether the studio is involved with the sequel.

Top Gun producer Jerry Bruckheimer tweeted a photo with Cruise last week, captioning it as the 31st anniversary of the opening day of Top Gun.

In January last year, Bruckheimer teased fans by tweeting: "Just got back from a weekend in New Orleans to see my old friend @TomCruise and discuss a little Top Gun 2."

REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on May 25, 2017, with the headline 'Top Gun sequel set to fly'. Print Edition | Subscribe