Swedish music festival cancelled next year after sexual assaults

STOCKHOLM •A woman was raped while 11 other cases of sexual assault were reported at Sweden's three-day Bravalla music festival last week.

The uproar, including a condemnation from the country's Prime Minister, has led to next year's edition being cancelled.

Last year's event was also marred by reports of sexual misconduct.

According to ABC News, the rape occurred during a performance by Swedish artist and event headliner Hakan Hellstrom last Friday. Other performers at this year's event, which drew 45,000 people, included American rock band The Killers, American DJ duo The Chainsmokers and Swedish house DJ Alesso.

The organiser said that although it had done "everything in our power" to create a safe festival experience, "some men - because we are talking about men - apparently can't behave. It's a shame".

Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said on Sunday he was upset that young women who wanted to listen to music should be "exposed to... disgusting acts. We must stop this".

He called for improved policing, more video surveillance and swifter justice for the victims.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on July 04, 2017, with the headline 'Swedish music festival cancelled next year after sexual assaults'. Print Edition | Subscribe