(REUTERS) - Acerbic comedian Joan Rivers died in New York on Thursday, a week after suffering cardiac arrest during a medical procedure on her vocal cords, her daughter Melissa Rivers said.
Fellow comedians, actors and prominent figures paid tribute to Rivers:
- Melissa Rivers in a statement announcing her mother's death: "My mother's greatest joy in life was to make people laugh. Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon."
- Statement from television network E!, which aired Rivers' Fashion Police show, and parent company NBCUniversal: "For decades Joan has made people laugh, shattered glass ceilings and revolutionised comedy. She was unapologetic and fiercely dedicated to entertaining all of us and has left an indelible mark on the people that worked with her and on her legions of fans."
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement: "Joan Rivers brought laughter to millions around the world and was proud of her Jewish heritage and a vocal supporter of the State of Israel. We will miss her deeply and we send our heartfelt condolences to her family."
- TV journalist Barbara Walters said in a statement: "No one loved life, laughter and a good time more than Joan. We would have dinner and laugh and gossip and I always left the table smiling. She was a brassy, often outrageous and hilarious performer who made millions laugh. In private, she was the picture of elegance and class. I will miss her."
- Actress and singer Liza Minnelli said on Facebook: "Joan Rivers was my dear friend and I will miss her but I will always remember the laughter and friendship she brought into my life."
- Real estate mogul Donald Trump, whose Celebrity Apprentice reality TV show Rivers won in 2009, on Twitter said Rivers "was an amazing woman and a great friend. Her energy and talent were boundless. She will be greatly missed".
- Comedian Louis C.K. said in a statement: "I never saw someone attack a stage with so much energy. She was a controlled lightning bolt."
Joan Rivers will always be a pioneer. She paved the way for a lot of comedians. I’m very sad she’s gone. pic.twitter.com/i1uE9fyHMh
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) September 4, 2014
Rest in peace @Joan_Rivers. Thank you for changing my life. I will miss you so much.
— George Kotsiopoulos (@GeorgeKotsi) September 4, 2014
Joan Rivers has died. What a sad ending to a brilliant and tragi-comic life; one of the bravest, and funniest of all.
— Bette Midler (@BetteMidler) September 4, 2014
— Kathy Griffin (@kathygriffin) September 4, 2014
we lost a great one in @Joan_Rivers - she was funny all the way to the end
— Jimmy Kimmel (@jimmykimmel) September 4, 2014
It was a treat running into Joan in the hallways at E!…she was always on... always a riot. Our thoughts are w/ you & your family @MelRivers.
— Ryan Seacrest (@RyanSeacrest) September 4, 2014
Unapologetically offensive, kind, tough, complicated, irrepressible, supremely energetic...and above all, bloody funny. RIP Joan Rivers.
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) September 4, 2014
tragic to lose such a funny,warm woman as Joan Rivers. My thoughts, prayers & love go out to her family and friends. You will be missed Joan
— Shannen Doherty (@DohertyShannen) September 4, 2014