Park Hae Jin unhurt by Chinese ban on Korean culture

South Korean heart-throb Park Hae Jin with director Lee Chang Min on the set of the upcoming drama Man X Man.
South Korean heart-throb Park Hae Jin with director Lee Chang Min on the set of the upcoming drama Man X Man.PHOTO: WEIBO.COM/ HAEJIN83

SEOUL • The Chinese-South Korean missile spat is hurting the export of Korean cultural content, but one K-drama star seems to be escaping unscathed.

On Monday, even as major Chinese streaming companies took down Korean television programmes, two of China's largest video platforms, Youku and Sohu, covered a dinner held in Seoul to celebrate the completion of actor Park Hae Jin's drama, Man X Man, said Yonhap News Agency.

Not only did Youku and Sohu interview Park when he showed up for the wrap party, Youku also broadcast the segment live, added the report.

An official from the actor's agency, Mountain Movement, said it was surprised by the presence of the Chinese streaming companies at the dinner, reported Yonhap.

China opposes South Korea's decision to deploy the United States' Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (Thaad) anti-missile system in response to the North Korean missile threat. Beijing views Thaad as a threat to its security and says it will not ease tension with Pyongyang. The US said yesterday it had started to deploy the system.

Youku is among Chinese websites that have removed episodes of South Korean variety shows such as Running Man and Infinite Challenge, in line with the Chinese government's ban on Korean pop culture, said Yonhap.

Park rose in popularity in China with the Chinese drama Duo Duo's Marriage in 2011, according to The Korea Herald. He also acted in the hit K-drama My Love From The Star in 2013. Last year, he was featured on Chinese postage stamps.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on March 08, 2017, with the headline 'Park Hae Jin unhurt by Chinese ban on Korean culture'. Print Edition | Subscribe