Depp settles divorce from Heard

PHOTO: REUTERS

WASHINGTON • The very public falling-out between actors Johnny Depp and Amber Heard (both above) came to an end on Tuesday, as they said they had agreed "to resolve their divorce proceeding privately" and she moved to withdraw abuse allegations.

The settlement ending the 15- month marriage came after weeks of highly publicised claims of domestic violence by Heard, 30, and counterclaims of blackmail by Depp, 53.

"Our relationship was intensely passionate and at times volatile, but always bound by love," read a joint statement. "Neither party has made false accusations for financial gain. There was never any intent of physical or emotional harm. Amber wishes the best for Johnny in the future."

Heard "will be donating financial proceeds from the divorce to a charity" and there will be no further public comment, the statement said.

In May, Heard accused Depp of domestic violence and filed a restraining order against him.

News of the settlement came a day before a scheduled hearing on the restraining-order request. Heard's move to withdraw that request was first reported by TMZ.com.

The couple met on the set of the 2011 movie, The Rum Diary, and dated for a few years before marrying in February last year. The police were called to a "domestic dispute" in May and "found no evidence of an assault", Variety reported.

Heard did not file charges at the time. Days later, she filed for divorce, citing irreconcilable differences.

WASHINGTON POST, REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on August 18, 2016, with the headline 'Depp settles divorce from Heard'. Print Edition | Subscribe