Brown allowed to leave Manila

MANILA • Philippines authorities last Friday allowed award- winning American singer and hip-hop star Chris Brown to fly out of the country, three days after he was barred from leaving due to a dispute over fraud allegations.

A video, showing him walking to his plane, saying goodbye to Manila and inviting people to party in Macau, was posted on the website of TMZ entertainment news last Friday.

Immigration and airport authorities said he secured emigration clearance showing he had no legal liability in the country, allowing him to fly out on Friday night.

Last Thursday, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said a so-called lookout bulletin order that initially barred Brown from exiting the country was not enough to prevent him from leaving.

The star and his promoter were accused of fraud by a company linked to a powerful local indigenous Christian organisation, Iglesia ni Cristo, after he cancelled a New Year's concert in Manila last December.

The organisation said the singer and his promoter did not return money paid to them for the cancelled show.

Brown had posted several messages on Twitter earlier in the week, saying he was innocent of the allegation against him. He also uploaded videos on Instagram, pleading to be allowed to leave the country after his packed concert last Tuesday.

The videos, including one where he appealed for help from United States President Barack Obama and another showing him on his knees, have reportedly been taken down.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on July 27, 2015, with the headline 'Brown allowed to leave Manila'. Print Edition | Subscribe