Bieber Miami trial delayed until July

MIAMI (AFP) - Justin Bieber's trial in Miami for allegedly driving while under the influence has been delayed two months to July 7, a court source told Agence France-Presse.

A preliminary hearing is now scheduled for June 25 before the July start date, according to the source, with the Miami Herald saying the 20-year-old singer's lawyers had asked for the delay while they try to reach a settlement out of court.

Bieber's court appearance had originally been scheduled for March 3, then was postponed until May 5, before the latest delay.

The Canadian pop star has pleaded not guilty to driving under the influence of substances, resisting arrest and driving with an expired licence after being arrested in Miami Beach on Jan 23 for taking part in an illegal street race in his Lamborghini.

Police said he had smoked marijuana and taken Xanax tranquilisers.

Bieber has had various run-ins with the law recently.

He has a hearing May 12 in Canada into accusations he assaulted a limousine driver last year, and was investigated in Los Angeles for allegedly throwing eggs at a neighbour's house.

But the White House recently declined to comment on a petition by 275,000 people that he be deported to Canada.