1. That vocal rangeMariah Carey possesses a five octave vocal range, while Grande’s got a four octave vocal range. That explains why Grande can hit those impossible super-high whistle notes like Carey does on her songs like Emotions, Dreamlover and One Sweet Day. They also both happen to do that diva finger wave when belting out vocal runs.
2. Musical styleWhen Grande dropped off her debut single The Way, the Mariah comparisons started almost immediately, with music critics dubbing her a “mini Mariah”. Grande’s bouncy pop music undoubtedly is a throwback to the R&B era of the 1990s, where pop divas like Whitney Houston, Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey reigned.
3. Diva requestsThey both prefer to be photographed from one side of their face. According to Australian media reports online, Grande insisted photographers shoot from the left side of her face during her promotional tour Down Under. Similarly, Carey prefers to be photographed from the right, not the left.
4. Musical achievements and songsThey both got their first hit single at age 20 – Carey with Vision Of Love in 1990, and Grande with The Way in 2013. Carey also happens to have another chart-topping single titled Always Be My Baby, while Grande’s got a new single out titled Be My Baby. They also both have a Christmas album of their own.
5. The dance movesEarlier this year, Grande was once again compared to Carey after fans claimed her performance of Problem at the Radio Disney Music Awards – with choreographed arm waving while stepping from side to side – was very similar to a young Carey performing her hit song Honey back in the 1990s.